The 2,500 TEU vessel, which has been designed jointly by VPLP Design, Alwena Shipping, SDARI and AYRO, received an Approval in Principle (AiP) from the classification society Bureau Veritas.
With an overall length of 197 meters and a breadth of 32 meters, Trade Wings 2,500 features six Oceanwings wingsails installed on a vertical sliding mechanism so that they can be retracted partially while the vessel is in port, thus minimising the impact on cargo operations.
The LNG storage tank is based on GTT’ Mark III containment system and the LNG power plant is designed with pure gas 4-strokes gensets.
This architecture can be upgraded to decarbonated fuels in the future such as ammonia or hydrogen, the company said.
“Wind-assisted propulsion is a high-potential solution that can contribute to the long-term decarbonization of the marine industry,” Alex Gregg-Smith, Senior Vice-President Bureau Veritas for North Asia commented.
“Benefitting from a coverless hatch and LNG electric pod propulsion, the design provides both operational flexibility, improved efficiency and reduced carbon emissions, complying with, or exceeding, regulatory requirements.”
Trade Wings 2,500, offering a deadweight of 32,500 m tons, is set to operate on short sea shipping routes or feedering in Europe, Central America, Caribbean Islands, and China, as well as on transatlantic trades.
As disclosed, on a typical transatlantic route of 4,000 Nm, the vessel is said to save an average 35% CO2-equivalent emissions compared to a conventional design, with a 2-stroke engine, single shaft and without wingsails, at the same speed.
Out of these 35% savings, the Oceanwings accounts to 57%, the optimized LNG thermal propulsion delivering the remaining 43% savings.
This co-work to design the Trade Wings 2,500 is said to set the pathway for what could be the low emissions container vessels of the near future.
AYRO, French company that designs, manufactures, and sells the wingsails Oceanwings, has already won AiP for its Oceanwings 3.6.3 wind-assisted propulsion system for ships from DNV GL.
The wind propulsion system is a 363 square meter 2-elements wingsail several of which can be installed on board cargo vessels.
AYRO’s Oceanwings system is designed to enable ship owners and operators to leverage wind energy, improving the energy balance of individual vessels and fleets, and, finally, cut carbon emissions.
This post appeared first on Offshore Energy.