Few environments on earth are as corrosive as those in which the global oil and gas industry works. From the sea floor foundations and ocean platforms to the burgeoning shale plays and all of the tens of thousands of rigs, pumps, trucks, tanks, plumbing and pipelines, Teslan can help protect steel surfaces from oxidation and reduce the dangers associated with corrosion and the cost of fighting rust.
Extensive and ongoing testing proves Teslan’s patented nanotechnology two-coat primer-topcoat system outperforms conventional three-coat paint jobs for superior corrosion protection of steel. No matter when or where you need Teslan protection, we are able to deliver to your schedule and specifications.
Whether you have corrosion to deal with on offshore rigs, well-site surface production equipment or downhole tubular products, Teslan provides protection. Oil and gas operations must contend with salt water, production fluids, impact and abrasion and many other corrosion-inducing factors. Teslan testing continues to demonstrate superior performance in the most extreme oil and gas production environments.
Offshore production is particularly problematic – whether at the splash or tidal zones, topside, bottom side or immersion. Salt water and other corrosive compounds threaten steel’s strength and integrity. Teslan’s two-coat system is a formulation featuring carbon nanotubes and their unique mechanical, thermal and electrical properties. When applied to oil and gas production structures and equipment, Teslan forms a protective barrier that is stronger than conventional rust-resistant paints and exhibits self-healing characteristics to withstand impacts and abrasions. Teslan applies as easily as conventional coatings.
Oil and gas producers throughout the world searching for solutions to reduce maintenance costs and minimize failure risks are turning to Teslan which has been used on offshore rigs in the Middle East, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean and West Africa. In all of the applications, Teslan has been able to reduce maintenance costs anywhere from 30% to 50%.
Tesla NanoCoatings has conducted exhaustive testing which revealed the following benefits:
- Cathodic Protection — The addition of conductive carbon nanotubes (CNT) allows for the more efficient use of the metal content in a galvanic primer. This leads to improved cathodic protection as electrons from the zinc are donated along the CNT quantum network that has 1000 times the conductivity of copper.
- Barrier — Teslan applies like paint but acts like plating. As the strongest material known to man, CNT’s mechanical properties can be engineered into epoxy and impart those properties into the film. These benefits include tremendous tensile strength, up to 200 times of steel providing outstanding barrier properties, the ability to eliminate microcracking and prevent film breakdown from weathering.
- Adhesion — With an affinity for steel and the strength provided by the CNT reinforced film, Tesla’s demonstrate far superior adhesion to any other coating. Pull test results routinely exceed 5,500 lbs./sq.in.
- Elimination of the Stripe Coat — A study was conducted to evaluate the effect CNT’s have in edge retention properties. The incorporation of CNT’s into epoxy composite coatings can significantly improve edge retention. Tesla Coatings superior edge retention means that stripe coatings is not required on any project. Since the coatings do not drip or sag, the complete job can be done by spraying only.
- 2×1 Wet Edge™ — Tesla NanoCoatings’ wet-on-wet process enables applicators to apply the topcoat 30 to 45 minutes after the primer has been applied. Wet-on-wet process delivers major time and cost savings along with technologically advanced corrosion protection advantages because the primer and topcoat monolithically bond.